This is a PDF downloadable tutorial with patterns to create a 13.5″/34cm Waldorf Inspired weighted baby doll, and some cute outfits for your doll. The clothes patterns include a nappy, a baby suit with feet, a baby suit without feet, a pair of socks and a hat with sweet little ears.
In this tutorial I will teach you how to shape the face of your doll to make your doll look very sweet, just like a baby.
For weight in the doll I will be using glass beads, however glass beads are not suitable for children under the age of 3.
If you are making this doll for a child I recommend you to use GLOREX GRANULES , which are suitable for children and has been tested. Alternatively you could just leave out the weight, and fill the torso of the doll just with wool.
This doll is not going to be able to stand, but will sit nicely unaided.
I am not adding buttocks and belly buttons to this doll, as I want the fabric to stay intact. The glass beads are quite small, and could go through even very small stitches.
This is a tutorial, with the patterns. Materials are not included.
The tutorial has links to suppliers in it, and you can also find links to suppliers at the bottom of this page.
There are lots of pictures to guide you through the steps.
The doll making tutorial is 160pages long, and the clothes tutorial is another 40 pages long, both include lots of images. Hundreds of them.
You can find some of my Doll making Videos on Youtube HERE
. Some of these and also another video has been integrated into the tutorial to help you along the way.
This tutorial is suitable for you even if you have never made a doll, as long as you have some sewing experience.
However to be able to create a doll you will be needing a general knowledge of using a sewing machine and also to do some hand sewing.
The body of the doll will need to be sewn together using a sewing machine, and the assembling of the doll will be done by hand sewing.
The eyes of the doll will need to be embroidered.
You will need to do some needle felting as well for shaping the lower face, to give some cute features to your doll.
There are two styles of hair included in the tutorial. For one style I used brushed mohair yarn, for the other I used Mohair teddy bear fur.
To be able to create the wig using brushed mohair yarn you will need some crocheting skills. If you are not sure about crocheting or some of the hand sewing skills, Youtube is an excellent resource of tutorials.
My tutorial will teach you to create a Waldorf Inspired baby doll, like those on the images.
You will be needing the following material to make the doll:
- 130g Carded Wool Batting
- Wool Laundry ball, 7cm diameter. If you use this for the head you need 40g less stuffing wool, only 100g
- 300g medium glass beads
- 100x25cm Cotton Swiss tricot, Laib Yala/ Heavy weight or WaldorfiaHago fabric. Folded into half along the grains. If you use different fabric, you may need to change the pattern slightly to make sure it fits. I am enclosing pattern for Laib Yala and WaldorfiaHago. If you use Meaningful Craft fabric, make the limbs and the bodice 0.5cm longer.
- For the inside torso 25x20cm fabric, I used french terry
- 55 cm tubular bandage 35 mm wide. I use Sterogauz
- 12-13 cm long doll making/darning needle
- Sewing needle
- Glass headed pins
- Crochet hooks no.3 or 3.5
- Air varnishing marker pen. The one I use is called “Magic pen”
- For freckles / SAKURA PIGMA MICRON 01 – Brown/ I do not add freckles to babies
- Felting needle, 38 Triangular
- Embroidery floss ( DMD or Anchor) for eyes and mouth
- Red wax crayon for blushing the doll
- Strong thread, I use Glütermann upholstery thread
- Sewing Glütermann thread in skin colour
- Measuring tape
- Extra strong floss for shaping the head Doll suppliers sell it. TECO is a good make.
- Brushed Mohair yarn 10-12g
- Matching strong thread to sew on the wig
You receive the downloads instantly, once payment has been confirmed.You will be receiving 4 Downloads in the order confirmation, but you will be able to find your downloads in your account as well, when you log in.
The Patterns have been designed to be printed onto A4 sheets, but to help you with the printing there are scales added to the prints.
You need to download the patterns without scaling.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions regarding the tutorial!
You can buy materials on these sites:
PERMISSION: You are welcome to sell the product you make with this pattern. Please give credit to Waldorfdollshop in your listing. You are not allowed to sell or share this pattern. Thank you so much for your support.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.