This is a Doll Making Tutorial / Digital PDF download to create a 36 cm/ 14″ weighted bunting style baby doll and outfit for your doll.
The Weighted baby or Heavy Baby doll, sometimes known as Millet baby or Sensory baby is a weighted doll filled with organic, lavender-scented millet and wool and is designed not only to have weight like a real baby but to also to provide a calming and therapeutic effect when held on a lap.
This tutorial is suitable also for those who have never made a doll before, but some sewing experience is required.
This video on YouTube HERE should help ytou to roll the head of your doll.
This is only a tutorial, with the pattern, materials are not included.
There are lots of pictures to guide you through the steps.
You will need the following materials to make your doll:
- Wool batting approx. 150g for the head, hands and some for the body -Skin colour jersey ( I use Laib Yala Swiss Doll Jersey) Tubular Bandage 4.5cm wide, 40 cm longCotton poplin for the body. I use natural colour.
- Fabric for the outer bunting. Velour, but could be other soft fabric like jersey 90x40cm
- Elastic for neck and wrists of the outer bunting. I use 3mm wide.
- A small ribbon for the hat.
- Embroidery floss for eyes and mouth. I use dark brown for the eyes, dark pink for the mouth.
- Extra strong thread for shaping the head of the doll
- Strong thread for sewing by hand. I use Glütermann upholstery thread. -For sewing machine, you will need skin colour thread, matching thread for the outer suit and for the cotton poplin.
- 1kg Organic Millet
- One safety pin to lace the elastic through the chasing
- Embroidery needle
- 12 cm long doll making needle
- Sewing needle
- Glass headed pins
- A chopstick could come handy
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions regarding the tutorial!